Hospital patient satisfaction (HCAHPS scores) and nurse turnover are two big issues hospitals are currently facing. Both issues have major implications with regard to patient outcomes and hospital efficiency and profitability. For example:
On top of an already-high nurse turnover rate of 19.1%, the US healthcare system is facing an alarming rate of nurse retirements by the end of 2022. The cost of turnover is also incredibly high – it is estimated that each percentage point of nurse turnover costs an average hospital almost $350,000 in terms of recruiting, onboarding, and training. And of course, high nurse turnover has a negative impact on patient care.
To reduce the rate of nurse turnover, care facilities and hospitals must understand the causes of turnover, address those issues, and track their progress to adjust as needed. Ideally, hospitals would survey patients and nurses to receive feedback directly. However, response rates are typically very low. The alternative? Harness the power of healthcare big data. Healthcare big data can be used in a variety of use cases with several key benefits:
Big Data Use Cases in Healthcare
- Capture publicly available data across social media and online review sites to aggregate sentiment and find patterns.
- Understand the root causes of various issues, including such issues as HCAHPS (Hospital Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems) quality scores, nurse turnover, and patient satisfaction.
- Benchmark your results against national data for similar organizations.
- Forecast how changes in the healthcare industry will affect sentiment in the future.
Benefits of Big Data in Healthcare
- Improve patient care quality.
- Reduce nurse turnover rates.
- Increase patient acquisition.
- Ultimately, help improve patient care and healthcare outcomes.
There’s a wealth of information on social media and online review sites like Glassdoor, Yelp, Google reviews, Becker’s, Facebook, and WebMD. We investigated how a Chicago-area hospital could use this publicly available data in conjunction with HCAHPS survey results and nurse satisfaction surveys to address the above healthcare big data use cases and reap the benefits.
Download the white paper to learn about our findings.