- Scattered, inconsistent data, and poor business processes for entering and maintaining the data across our food production client resulted in mistrust between the finance and IT departments.
- Aptitive created a 3 phase solution for finding insights through data centralization, governance and advanced analytics to drive business understanding for the stakeholders.
- The finance department implemented the dashboards and used the reports to track their progress, decision making, and to help aid in planning. This enabled a more advanced type of reporting and analytics which improved processes and data governance policies.
Finding Insights through Data Centralization, Governance and Advanced Analytics
Short on time? Here are the key facts.
Microsoft SQL Server
A Chicago based food production company wanted to empower their finance team with comprehensive data analytics and visualizations they could use to gain insights and drive better decisions. Issues with their data however, made it nearly impossible to get the insights they needed and led to mistrust between the business and the IT department.
- Data was scattered in several disparate sources across multiple departments within the company.
- Poor or inconsistent data quality and integrity.
- Inconsistent business processes for entering and maintaining the data.
- Antiquated reporting methods that resulted in poor reporting on crucial business metrics.
Our solution was broken down into 3 phases, integration of the existing data into a data warehouse, process improvement to ensure ongoing data quality, and development of advanced analytics dashboards.
Phase 1: Data Integration
The Aptitive team used SSIS to integrate all of the data sources into a “data hub”, we then modeled and developed a data warehouse for advanced reporting and analytics.
Phase 2: Process Improvement
Once the data warehouse was complete, we worked closely with the business and IT stakeholders to define a data governance strategy and implement several process changes to ensure the data quality issues would not persist.
Phase 3: Advanced Analytics and Reporting
Following process implementation, we moved on to the front end. Using SSAS and PowerBI we were then able to create several reports and high-level dashboards to drive business understanding for the stakeholders.
The finance department executives went on to validate and implement the dashboards as the golden standard for their teams. The finance teams now use the reports to track their progress, make decisions, and aid in planning. In terms of continuity for the data, the improved processes and data governance policies that were put into place have improved the quality of the data substantially, and enabled new, more advanced types of reporting and analytics.